Property Board FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

The following questions often crop up in enquiries we receive from churches.  Here we have provided information and further links about some of the more problematic aspects of church and manse property ownership.  

Additional resources are available through BU Guidance pages which can be found by following this link:

Letting a Manse

Q: Can we let out our vacant Manse to benefit from the rental income?

A: Yes, provided the letting is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for an agreed term of two years or less.

Q: Do we need to refer this to the London Baptist Property Board?

A:  No.  However, the relationship between Baptist Churches, their Managing Trustees and the Property Board is not well understood by the professionals that churches need to engage with in the process of letting a property, so the Property Board is happy to help in the event of any queries.

Please see the attached document for more answers to other questions you may have on this common topic of interest for churches.

FAQ - Assured Shorthold Tenancies (AST)

Party Walls & Boundary Matters

Q: What is a Party Wall and why do we need to refer a Party Wall matter to the London Baptist Property Board?

A: A Party Wall is any structure at the boundary between two properties which is jointly owned.

Q: Why do we need to refer anything to do with a Party Wall to the London Baptist Property Board?

A: Work proposed either to a jointly owned structure or in some cases within 6 metres of the boundary, is governed by a piece of legislation called the Party Wall etc Act 1996.  

IMPORTANT:  It is the Property Board’s responsibility to sign the legal documents, acknowledgements and notices which are generated within the terms of the legislation.  This is necessary because the Board is the Freehold owner of the London Baptist church and manse properties for which it is the Custodian Trustee.  When dealing with a Party Wall matter, the Property Board will work with the local Baptist Church involved and also where appropriate, with their professional advisers.

For further information please refer to the document in the link below.

Party Walls