Introduction to The Youth Work Forum
There are over 2 million children and young people in London that‚Äôs around 25% of the city‚Äôs population! Without question our capital presents the church with an incredible opportunity to reach the next generation with the amazing truth of Jesus! But this vast, diverse and complex city also brings many challenges and as God‚Äôs people we must be at the forefront of understanding¬†and¬†reflecting on our ever changing culture and the challenges it brings these young people!
Baptist churches across London are already engaged in fantastic ways, serving and reaching the children and young people of our city with the good news of Jesus and the LBA wants to come alongside the great work already happening to further resource, equip and encourage you in this. We believe the best way of making this happen is pulling together different voices (youth workers, church leaders, parents¬†and¬†young people) to think through how we can best bring the love and truth of Jesus to the youth and children of our city!
As part of this thinking, in the autumn of 2012 and in response to the need for a more coordinated youth and children‚Äôs work strategy the LBA Youth Forum was started.
The Youth Forum is collection of youth and children‚Äôs workers, church leaders and parents from right across our capital, representing the diversity of our churches in gender, age, ethnicity and cultural background! Each member brings to the discussion different experiences, skills and perspectives as we seek to consider the opportunities and challenges before the church and youth & children‚Äôs ministry in London. We‚Äôre united in our desire to help children and young people discover who Jesus is for themselves, coming to know the full and abundant life He offers as well as equipping the church in seeing this become a reality in their community!
Current members of the Forum include;
- Chris Andre-Watson¬†¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† Clapham Baptist Church
- Amie Buhari ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†Clapham Baptist Church
- Mark Humm ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†Purley Baptist Church
- Pete James ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†The King‚Äôs Cross Baptist Church/LBA
- Norman Kincaid ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†London Baptist Association
- Michele Mahon ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†Brockley Baptist Church
- Matt Moore ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†High Road Baptist Church
- Sherrin Neenan ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†Balham Baptist Church
- Daniel Shillingford ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†Edmonton Baptist Church
If you would like to know more or find out how you can be involved then just get in touch.
In response to needs shared by church leaders, youth workers and volunteers at a series of gatherings held through 2012 the Forum is currently focusing on the following areas;
- Support¬†churches¬†in their ongoing children‚Äôs and youth work, enabling them to have confidence¬† in serving those in their local community.
- Encourage¬†discipleship, bringing to maturity the faith of children and young people in addressing those obstacles that can hinder their relationship with Christ.
- Resource¬†leaders, wherever possible, in their delivery of children‚Äôs and youth work.
- Share¬† good practice¬†and other innovative projects wherever they are taking place.
- Organise¬†training¬†and conferences that are relevant and when necessary create or highlight relevant theological and training material relevant to children‚Äôs and youth work.
- Research¬†& collate¬†the breadth of youth and children‚Äôs work across the Association and establish a database of youth and children‚Äôs workers
- Maintain¬†the vision as well as¬†serve¬†as the accountable body for the 20/20 initiative
We are still in the early stages of the Forum‚Äôs development and so still learning¬†and¬†listening to what is needed. However we have currently targeted a number of key areas as we seek to serve churches in their work with children and young people.
As a forum we meet every two months, talk through ongoing opportunities, ideas and needs from across the association discuss the development of resources, training, support and connections for youth and children‚Äôs ministry to share with you as churches.
We hold 3-4 wider gatherings each year! These last for around 2 hours and take place over some lunch! This is a chance for ALL those involved in youth and children‚Äôs work to come and network, be encouraged, resourced and share directly with us how the association can better support them in their work. In addition to this we will be hosting one bigger gathering each year, (held through the day on a Saturday), offering opportunity for a longer period of time together for worship, training, networking and fellowship! Check out the diary for details of the next gathering!
This exciting venture began at last year‚Äôs Baptist Assembly (London 2012), in which hundreds of young people gathered in central London to celebrate God‚Äôs love for them and be encouraged and equipped in what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. Check out the 20/20 link for more of the latest details of this year‚Äôs event.
We have a growing database of youth and children‚Äôs workers from Baptist Churches across London. Through this we can let people know about upcoming opportunities and gatherings. If you are a youth or children‚Äôs worker and not sure if you a part of the database just EMAIL US and we will make sure you are!¬†¬†¬†¬†
As a forum we are here to serve you! If you have any questions, ideas or needs regarding youth and children‚Äôs work in your local area then we would love to hear from you! The forum is made up of existing church workers, leaders and parents who take time out to serve voluntarily and we will do our best to get back to you as quickly as possible with any ideas, suggestions or connections.
We would love to hear from you!
We are trying to build a greater network among youth and children‚Äôs ministries across London and would love for you to be part of it! If you are serving with a youth or children‚Äôs programme at an LBA church then please do email us so we can stay in touch!